2009年10月13日火曜日

CLASS #2 Death and Funerals

1. Reflecting about today's class:Today we discussed the Japanese concept of "wrapping". Do you agree with the web site's description?What do you do that can be called "wrapping"? Give examples and reasons for your actions.

It is exactly true. Japanese love wrapping. We especially do that when we give someone a present for the special day like midyear present (otyu-gen). In my case, I of course do that when I give my friends or boy friend a present and even though when I return something to someone. Wrapping makes everyone good feeling, and it is important to show my feeling.


1.Death and Funerals:
a. Do you have any international friends or a host family? If so, how would you express your condolences to them if a family member died? If not, then how would you express condolences to an American host family if their Grandmother died?

Yes, I do. Bur I have never experience such as this situation. If I need to express my condolences to my friend, I will say "I was shocked to hear of the death of your... I cannot tell you how sorry I am to hear of your great loss. In deepest sympathy,"

b. Have you ever been to a foreign funeral?

No, I have not.


2. The language of Clothes (preparation for next weeks topic):
a.Why are Japanese designer label crazy? Why is what you wear so important?

I don't know Japanese designer label crazy or not. But I'm sure why is what I wear so important because I express my feeling and identity. Also it makes me confidently. Clothes are parts of my life.

b.What does “Don’t judge a book by it’s cover.” mean to you?

It means that it is not certain to judge something by appearance. We should be careful to judge something and pay attention to substance.

9 件のコメント:

  1. hello!!
    I agree with you! the clothes are parts of our lives;] they always give some impressions of people to me.

    返信削除
  2. Hi!!
    I think Japanese people likes wrapping too.
    Japanese wrapping is very good culture, but sometimes I think Jpanese wrapping is unless.

    Japanese people express respect, thnaks and so on by wrapping. But I think we should change the this culture.

    返信削除
  3. Hi BLACKCHERRY!
    I like your opinion :"clothes are part of my life". I yhink so,too, bacause I like fashion and shopping. They make me happy:D

    返信削除
  4. I like your opinion, "Wrapping makes everyone good feeling". We sometimes don't have to wrap something to reduce garbage. However, I think wrapping is our good custom.

    返信削除
  5. //chiken

    heeeeey chiken!
    yeah, clothes are one of the important points of our life for us!!
    and at that time, it is very interesting cuz clothes exactly show what type of person she/he is :D


    //clover

    hey, thanx for the comment!
    I agree with you. Wrapping is sometimes good and sometimes bad..nowadays, people are considering how important eco-things are. so it will be changed soon,I think.


    //candy

    hi:) thanx for the comment!
    I'm glad you like my idea :D
    Fashion and shopping are of course fun for me, and also they are my pleaure of life!!lol

    返信削除
  6. //Kang-fu

    hey, thanx for the comment!
    of course I like our custom about wrapping, but I want to say that "too much" is not good.
    it depends on the situation.

    返信削除
  7. Hi!
    I think so that Japanese love wrapping!
    But Japanese wrapping is overflow.
    So I sometimes say,"Please do not wrapping"

    返信削除
  8. hello!
    your opinion "I express my feeling and identity" is good answer!
    Yes, clothes are parts of our life, so it mean identity. That is why we feel clothes is important for Japanese.

    返信削除
  9. Hello!
    I agree with your last answer.
    I think it means do not certain to judge something by appearance.

    返信削除